What is Bactroban
Bactroban (mupirocin) is a cream that is used in the treatment of various skin infections. It is an antibiotic cream and it works by stopping the growth of certain bacteria.
What Conditions Does Bactroban Treat?
One of the primary uses of mupirocin is treating staph infection. Staph infections are caused by staphylococcus bacteria. This type of bacteria is commonly found on the skin of people who are perfectly healthy. Like many other bacteria, they are present in small quantities all over but it is only when they invade your body do they present a major threat.
The symptoms of staph infections can range from minor to major. Some of the symptoms of staph infections are as follows:
- Boils. A boil is the most common symptom of a staph infection. A boil is a pocket of pus that is created in a hair follicle or oil gland. The infected area becomes swollen and inflamed. If a boil erupts the pus spews out and can cause further infection or skin irritation if there are any open wounds in the area.
- Cellulitis. Cellulitis is an infection that resides within the deeper layers of the skin—this causes skin redness and swelling on top of the surface of the skin. This can also cause sores or skin ulcers that will discharge.
- Impetigo is a relatively commonly occurring skin infection. It is highly contagious and primarily affects children and infants. It often shows itself as red sores on the face—especially surrounding the nose and mouth, and then the sores discharge and crust over.
Staph bacteria are mostly known for their hardiness. Consider that many people carry staph bacteria around for long periods of time and never get infected. Despite this, the bacteria remain. Staph can live on everyday objects without perishing. They can survive extremes of temperatures, stomach acid, high levels of salt and moisture loss. It is for these reasons that despite the best efforts by hospital workers, it has been difficult to rid hospitals of staph bacteria. This poses a huge risk for people with compromised immune systems, those with open wounds in the form of burns or surgical wounds.
Prevention and Precaution
- Wash Your Hands. Hand washing is the most basic and universal tactic for limiting the spread of germs. Wash your hands in hot water for 30 seconds and be sure to keep your fingernails trimmed so you can clean under them.
- Keep Wounds Covered. Treat wounds with rubbing alcohol and then keep them covered with a bandage.
- Do Not Share Grooming Items. Avoid sharing items such as towels, athletic equipment, and especially razors.
Bactroban is applied on the affected area. You should avoid getting this medication on areas not infected and especially not any of your mucous membranes such as eyes, nose, and mouth. If you do not see signs of improvement in 3 to 5 days, inform your doctor.
The Rx Helper was founded to give Americans access to discounted prescription medications through manufacturer discount programs. If you or a loved one are struggling to afford your prescription medications, give us a call at 877-767-3297 to see if you qualify for discounted medications!